Veteran's ID Cards

The Ross County Recorder’s Office began issuing Veterans ID Cards on June 4, 2014 as a service to our local Veterans some of whom needed a picture ID for work, check cashing, voting and other needs.  The Ohio Recorders Association proposed legislation to make the card a recognized government issued ID and it became law on September 8, 2016.  Ohio Revised Code 317.241 and 317.242 established guidelines for County Recorders to issue Veteran ID Cards.  Kathy Dunn was one of two recorders who represented the Ohio Recorders on the Ohio Veterans ID Materials and Design Standard Committee.  Please visit our Veterans ID Card Facebook Page at to see information about events and businesses that give incentives to ID Card holders.

To obtain an ID Card a Veteran must first record their Original or Properly Certified Military Discharge Papers commonly known as a Form DD-214 in the Recorder’s Office and bring two (2) forms of identification. The Ross County Recorder’s Office will issue a card to any qualified Veteran regardless of whether they are a resident of our county as long as they record the proper paperwork with our office and present proper Identification.

The following documents are accepted as forms of identification:

  1. An original birth certificate
  2. An identification card issued by the U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs
  3. U.S. Military Identification card
  4. Social Security Card
  5. A license or permit to carry a concealed weapon issued by this State or any other state.
  6. A motor vehicle operator's license issued by this state or any other state that bears a photograph of the licensee.
  7. An identification card issued by this state or any other state that bears a photograph of the individual identified.
  8. A valid passport that bears a photograph of the individual to whom the passport was issued
  9. Any other U.S. Armed Forces record

Military Discharges Are Not Open Public Records

Your Information Is Safe With Us. Safeguard this important Document by recording it in your Recorder’s Office. A Certified Copy from your Recorder’s Office is as good as the original.

ORC 317.24(2)

(a) A discharge recorded under (B)(1) or (D) of 317.24 is not a public record under section 149.43 of the Revised Code for a period of 75 years after the date of the recording. During that period, the county recorder’s office shall make a record of discharge available only to an authorized party or a person other than an authorized party as provided by division (B)(2)(b) of this section.

(b) A person other than an authorized party may request to view or receive a copy of a discharge record recorded under division (B)(1) or (D) of this section. Upon such person’s request, the county recorder’s office shall provide a copy of the discharge record to the person that shall be redacted to contain only the name, rank, date of birth, date of discharge and type of discharge of the person who is the subject of the discharge record.

ORC 317.24 (3)

A county veterans service officer, who is an authorized party, may request to receive, from a county recorder’s office, a record of discharge if the veterans service officer has need to access the record of discharge for the purpose of supporting a veteran’s claim for benefits, and the county recorder’s office shall make the record available to the county veterans service officer.

Our County Recorder’s Office also provides an un-redacted certified copy of the Recorded Veteran’s Discharge Papers to the Funeral Director who is handling the Veterans Burial.

Get in Touch with Us

Ross County, Ohio Recorder

(740) 702-3000

2 North Paint Street, Suite E
Chillicothe, Ohio 45601